My Photo
Name:
Location: New Bern, NC, United States

My brain won't shut up.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Blogger won't let me title my entries and I wonder why it dislikes me so. Neglect? Ignorance? Poor spelling skills?

So, about this Library 2.0. I read the article Away from the 'Icebergs,' and Anderson makes some great points. I completely agree that the librarian-to-patron ratio does not make comprehensive training feasible, and therefore information needs to be easily accessible. It isn't that this is an entirely new concept, it's just that he puts it so well. We need to stop blaming the patrons and their inabilities and start making more simplistic interfaces.

Michael Stephens also said plenty of things that were right on in his article, Into a New World of Librarianship. I've already posted my opinions on the necessity of IM and text message reference and apparently Michael agrees. Yay! He emphasizes following current trends, but he also highlights the danger of techno-frenzy. It's good to read an article in which someone addresses the dangers of automatically embracing all new technology.

Although none of their ideas may be completely original, each of these authors inspired me and made me think about my profession in a new and exciting way. I think that's extremely admirable and undeniably important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home